The Variations of Hydrophilic Self-Cleaning Properties and Refractive Index Dependence in the ZrO2 Thin Films by Gamma Irradiation
D. Abayli, N.Baydogan
Energy Institute, Istanbul Technical University, Ayazaga Campus, 34469, Istanbul, TURKEY
ABSTRACT：ZrO2 thin film samples were produced by the sol-gel dip coating method. Four different absorbed dose levels (such as ~ 0.4, 0.7, 1.2 and 2.7 Gray-Gy) were applied to ZrO2 thin films. Hence the absorbed dose of ZrO2 thin film was examined as physical dose quantity representing the mean energy imparted to the thin film per unit mass by gamma radiation. Modification of the grain size was performed sensitively by the application of the absorbed dose to the ZrO2 thin film. Therefore the grain size reached from ~50 nm to 87 nm at the irradiated ZrO2 thin film. The relationship of the grain size, the contact angle, and the refractive index of the irradiated ZrO2 thin film was investigated as being an important technical concern. The irradiation process was performed in a hot cell by using a certified solid gamma ray source with 0.018021 Ci as an alternative technique to minimize the utilization of extra toxicological chemical solution. Antireflection and hydrophilic properties of the irradiated ZrO2 thin film were slightly improved by the modification of the grain size. The details on the optical and structural properties of the ZrO2 thin film were examined to obtain the optimum high refractive index, self-cleaning and antireflective properties.
Keywords: Absorbed Dose; Irradiation; Optical Properties; Thin Film; Zirconium Oxide
1. Abayli D, Baydogan N. The characterization of the irradiated ZrO2 transparent thin films. Procedia -Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2015a; 195: 2117 – 2121.
2. Abayli D, Baydogan N. The changes in optical absorbance of ZrO2 thin film with the rise of the absorbed dose. Book of Abstracts of 9th International Physics Conference of the Balkan Physical Union, 2015b; August 24-27, Istanbul, TR, pp.175.
3. Baydogan N, Ozdemir O, Cimenoglu H. The improvement in the electrical properties of nanosphericalZnO: Al thin film exposed to irradiation using a Co-60 radioisotope. Radiation Physics and Chemistry 2013a; 89: 20-27.
4. Baydogan N, Ozdurmusoglu T, Cimenoglu H, et al. Refractive index and extinction coefficient of ZnO: Al thin films derived by sol-gel dip coating technique. Defect and Diffusion Forum 2013b; 334-335: 290-293.
5. Bensouyad H, Sedrati H, Dehdouh H, et al. Structural, thermal and optical characterization of TiO2:ZrO2 thin films prepared by sol–gel method. Thin Solid Films 2010; 519: 96 – 100.
6. Berlin JI, Lakshmi JS, Lekshmy SS, et al. Effect of sol temperature on the structure, morphology, optical and photoluminescence properties of nanocrystalline zirconia thin films. Journal Of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2011; 58: 669–676.
7. Chernov V, Belykh A, Melendrez R, et al. Beta radiation induced thermoluminescence in pure ZrO2 prepared by sol–gel. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 2006; 352: 2543 – 2547.
8. Garcia RBR, Silva FS, Kawachi EY. New sol–gel route for SiO2/ZrO2 film preparation. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical Engineering Aspects, 2013; 436: 484 – 488.
9. Jafarpour M, Rezaeifard A, Heidari M. A new catalytic method for eco-friendly synthesis of quinoxalines by zirconium (IV) oxide chloride octahydrate under mild conditions. Letters in Organic Chemistry, 2016; 8(3): 202-209.
10. Jerman M, Qiao Z, Mergel D. 2005. Refractive index of thin films of SiO2, ZrO2, and HfO2 as a function of the films’ mass density. Applied Optics 2005; 44: 15.
11. John Berlin I, Sujatha Iekshmy S, Ganesan V, et al. Effect of Mn doping on the structural and optical properties of ZrO2 thin films prepared by sol-gel method. Thin Solid Films, 2014; 550: 199 – 205.
12. Joy K, John Berlin I, Nair PB, et al. Effects of annealing temperature on the structural and photoluminescence properties of nanocrystalline ZrO2 thin films prepared by sol–gel route. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, 2011; 72: 673 – 677.
13. Larijani MM, Hasani E, Safa S. Annealing temperature effect on the optical properties of thermally oxidized nano-crystalline ZrO2 thin films grown on glass substrates. Applied Surface Science, 2013; 290: 490 - 494.
14. Li Q, Zhong X, Hu J, et al. Preparation and corrosion resistance studies of zirconia coating on fluorinated AZ91D magnesium alloy. Progress in Organic Coatings, 2008; 63: 222 – 227.
15. Mishra S, Ghosh R. Ecofriendly and sustainable efficient synthesis of bis(indolyl)methanes based on recyclable Brønsted (CSA) or Lewis (ZrOCl2.8H2O) acid catalysts. Indian Journal of Chemistry, 2011; 50:1630-1636.
16. Ravichanndran AT, Catherine SiriyaPushpa K, Ravichanndran K, et al. Effect of al doping on the structural and optical properties of ZrO2 nanopowders synthesized using solution combustion method. Superlattices and Microstructures, 2014; 75: 533-542.